Crowdfunding your next music project?
How Disc Makers can help you crowdfund your music project
More and more independent musicians are looking to Kickstarter, Launchpad, and other crowdfunding sites. After all, not only does crowdfunding music help to pay for the costs to make and sell your album, it's also great advance publicity. This page is a dedicated resource for musicians looking to learn how to crowdfund their CD project.
Quick crowdfunding tips & suggestions
- Keep your campaign to 30 days. Shorter campaigns make you look more confident and a shorter timeline adds a sense of urgency. But make sure you let your friends and family know about your campaign beforehand to build excitement.
- Research and learn from successful campaigns and emulate what they did.
- When planning your campaign, don't forget all the added expenses of crowdfunding music, including CD manufacturing, sales tax, mailing supplies, and the cost of shipping your special packages to your fans and backers. Include these costs into your campaign.
- Include many payment options and offer a lot of smaller rewards like posters, stickers, advance CD copies, or autographed CDs so people who only have a little to contribute can.
- Release new content when promoting your music crowdfunding campaign, so people don't get sick of the same old Facebook and Twitter posts. Mix it up with videos or snippets of music, and keep your fans up-to-date on the progress of your album and their tier reward.
- Set realistic goals. Most crowdfunding sites will give back the donations if you don't meet your goal. If you are under your goal, think about donating the additional funds yourself so you can move your project ahead without losing any donations that have been already been pledged.
How Disc Makers can help you and your project
Disc Makers has been helping musicians just like you since 1946. We have all the products and services you need—not just to sell your music but to also have a successful Kickstarter campaign. Here are some great ways we can help you with your campaign:
In addition to making your regular CD, do a special run with unique art for 100 of your premium backers. We offer affordable short-run CD packages that are perfect for your backers who have pledged the most.
Keep up with the latest trends & ideas for indie musicians
Disc Makers' blog features hundreds of helpful articles for independent musicians. Tune in each week for new ideas on recording, promotion, and yes, crowdfunding. Take a look at these great crowdfunding articles that have been featured: